3.0 Migration Guide
Right now, 3.0 is in early planning stages. This page is mostly collecting lists of things we are planning on changing. It is by no means an exhaustive list and it may completely change depending on what gets done and such.
- Combine api/core into just a cxf-kernel or similar, but pull out anything specific to the WSDL/SOAP based services into a rt/core-ws or similar to keep kernel lighter weight for pure REST apps.
- Combine the PhaseInterceptor and Interceptor interfaces and the PhaseInterceptorChain and InterceptorChain into a single set. CXF only can really use the "Phase" versions and the others cause confusion and extra, unneeded interfaces.
- Remove QueryHandlers -> these were originally used for the ?wsdl processing (and is still used for ?js). However, that stuff is better done directly on the interceptor chains as interceptors to allow user supplied interceptors to also handle them. I'd like to just remove these. (obviously update the ?js stuff) Would simplify the CXFServlet a bit.
- Likely move some of the other Abstract classes and such from kernel. For example, we now have a transports-common module. Move the AbstractDestination and stuff there.
- Go through all the @Deprecated things and remove them. Likewise, remove unused method params (I know there are a couple on the Destination API) and such.
- POSSIBLY update various API's to pass in the Bus (or other objects) if needed instead of holding it as an instance variable. That would allow singleton instances for things like the transports and such. For example, it would be good to register a "FooCXFTransport" as an OSGi service that we could lookup later. Right now, we couldn't do that unless you only used a global bus, which isn't exactly what the purpose of the Bus is.
- Move feature impls out of API and into core. Currently feature and interceptor classes are in different packages. Which makes it difficult to modularize them. So we should rather have one package per feature where feature class and interceptor classes are located
- Make AbstractFeature subclass WebServiceFeature and update the JAX-WS frontend to look for them.
- Add new code generator frontend to add CXF specific constructors and methods.
- Remove support for the old bus-extensions.xml file (in favor of the current and much faster bus-extensions.txt)
- CXFBusImpl has been removed. The only subclass was the ExtensionMangerBus (SpringBus and Blueprint/osgi stuff subclassed that) so the functionality was pushed up into ExtensionMangerBus. Some of the "common" methods were put directly on the Bus interface to make using the Bus cleaner (no casts to the impl).
- The unused "run()" method on Bus was removed.
- Merge BaseDataReader/DataReader and the same for the writer getting rid of the "Base" versions that are unreferenced.
- The 2 unused params on Destination.getBackChannel were removed. They were unused and normally passed in as null.
- Dropped support for Karaf 2.2.x. Karaf 2.3.x is now required.